"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

WOODS CREEK LOOP

Since the completion of the CDT between Jones Pass and Herman Gulch I have been putting together a route in my head. Today I thought I would give it a try. My idea was to ride up Woods Creek and see if I could find the CDT and ride it down Herman Gulch to the BLT and back to Georgetown .My guess 20 -30 miles The reason I wasn’t starting at Jones Pass was I had heard it was a death march. The CDT guide book described the route between Jones Pass and Woods Creek as rocky with some boulder hoping. I don’t know I might try it that way next time it didn’t look that bad and it’s only 4 miles from Jones Pass to Woods Creek. This route was pretty sweet!

I left my house about 9 a little late. Now I would have to hurry it was suppose to rain this afternoon. The last thing I want to do is get caught above timberline in a lightning storm.
My shifting problems started just as I started up Empire Pass! **#@#** I thought I had it fixed. I was getting frustrated now! Soooooo many delays this morning I was beginning to think I was going to have to put the ride off. I would wait in the trees if I had to but I was going to finish this ride!!

The ride up US 40to Berthoud Falls kind of sucked there was a lot of traffic. Berthoud Falls was only 10 miles from Gtown 1 hour an 15 min. Now if I could make it to the saddle above Woods Creek before it started to rain. Another 5 miles and I was up to Urad Lake listing to Knocking on Heaven’s Door G+R version. It still looked like a long way up the creek. And I didn‘t know how much further the road went.. A couple pictures and I was on my way. Past the lake the road turned into a jeep trail a short distance later it ended. Now I was listening to The End my beautiful friend the end…. I love the Doors There was a faint trail to the right. I decided to go for it. It was only a couple miles to the CDT and I could carry my lightning rod for a couple miles if I had to! I started pushing that only lasted for about 10 feet before I had to hoist my bike on my back and pretend that it was my backpack. There were rock cairns so I knew someone had been this way before. It was tough going and way steeep. I made my way through a marshy area to the creek. That looked like the easiest way up. It was beautiful the wild flowers were spectacular. How many steps could I take before I had to stop? 12345678.…….about 50 that was it. A couple breathes and then 123456789.…. The ridge was getting closer. I figure I had to carry my bike for about 2 hours! I could see the CDT coming down the ridge across the valley and knew I would run into it soon. And I did it kind of took me by surprise. I had it made now if could get over the top and down to the trees before it started to rain. The saddle was 16 miles from my house (Plus a two hour hike). Time? I lost track all I knew it was all downhill to home! I stopped for some much needed refreshment at the Herman Gulch Trail. Herman Gulch Trial is a sweet gnarly trail with lots of roots and rocks with sections of sweet singletrack. The FS has even built some nice stunts for us mountain bikers. I like it! Really it wasn’t that hard!


30.5 miles 4 hours 30 min. 6.7 AV Probably 6-7 hours total

No comments: